Tuesday 28 December 2010

Evaluation Question 3

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

1. 2. 3.

4. 5.


1. I researched Hollywood institutions to see if there was an institution that would be appropriate for my film. I looked up institutions that were mainly for horror films such as TriStar Pictures and institutions that focus on movies for everyone such as Twentieth Century Fox. However, Twentieth Century Fox have produced horror films, a recent one being Jennifer's Body (2009). I think Twentieth Century Fox are an institution too big and too popular for my film.

2. Whereas the institution TriStar pictures concentrates more on horror films two of which are Silent Hill (2006) and Godzilla (1998) these horror films are quite big well known and successful horror films, I personally do not think my film would be as successful as these films and therefore a Hollywood institution would not take the risk of taking on a film and losing money.

3.So I think my film would be better and more accepted in an independent film distribution, I researched independent film distributors and found, Exclusive Film Distribution, which are based in London and produce films from mixed genres. It has overall distributed 7 films, 3 of these are horrors, and one upcoming film is The Women in Black (2011) which is a well known film, but is being re made to update it. Also none of the horrors are similar to mine so it would be a good idea to have a new style of film which people would be interested in watching. As well as The Woman in Black, Exclusive Film Distribution has distributed Sliding Doors 1998 which is not a horror but it is very popular, which makes me think that our film would do well in this institution because other films have been successful.

4. I think our film would be for a niche audience because for a first time film it may not be to everyone’s horror standards so people who like horrors may not want to see it because it’s not scary and gory enough whereas people who don’t like horrors would not want to take the risk that it might scare them. So I do not think a mass audience would be a good idea because Cinema lines like Odeon and Empire would not take it on as the audience range is not wide enough. So instead I would like it to be just released to be downloaded off of Itunes, because Itunes is a well known site which is used by a wide range of people so the target audience could watch it also I think more females would watch it because it is not gory, which we found out from our target audience research that females do not like gore and blood.

5. I do not think our film has many merchandise opportunities because nobody would idolize Katie as she is the antagonist and she would be thought of as a psychopath. However, some teenagers may feel sympathy and connect with Chris and therefore buy a poster of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment